Sunday, August 16, 2015

Angkor Wat: A Quick Layover in the City of Temples

With less than 48 hours in the small city of Siem Reap, Cambodia, home to the world-renowned temples of Angkor Wat, our limited time was reduced even further as whatever stomach bug had previously decimated Julie, slowly caught up to me, having its way in an indescribably-non-fun-at-all manner. After a 24-hour period which I would prefer was erased from my memory banks forever, my futile attempt at "rallying" the following morning for sunrise over Angkor Wat instead involved being carried back in a semi-conscious state to our Tuk Tuk, as my body decided the already-oppressive 5AM heat was just enough to place me in a deep-sweat-near-fainting state.

Nonetheless, 8 bed-ridden hours later, with a nice dose of Cipro working its wonderful magic (once again, hurray for 3rd world pharmaceutical laxness!), I managed to join Julie for round 2 of our 3-hour "sprint" around Angkor Wat, aka the "City of Temples", aka the largest religious monument in the world, aka dammit there are no bathrooms anywhere! And that is all I would like to say about that.

Onto the pics:

Air Asia - High emphasis on decoration, limited emphasis on safety. Consider us, luckily, 1/1
"I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and sh*tty as can be!"
Angkor Wat - 900 years old, 500 acres in size -- I guess our guest bathroom remodel wasn't that big of an accomplishment afterall
Just missed sunrise by about 10 hours...
"Mind Your Step"
Props to Julie for her "sneak attack" photo, of a monk, taking a photo, of Julie, taking a photo, of a monk... (this could go on forever I imagine)
Ta Prohm - Centuries of overgrown tree-covered temples + Tomb Raider Film = Photogenicness to the extreme
I envision Angelina Jolie walking these halls, debating which small Cambodian child she would be bringing home with her... or maybe she was just dreaming about Brad. Either one is understandable.
Not Angelina
This place could really use a few sprays of RoundUp
Somewhat amazing to see nature literally consume a city
Apology provided is not accepted
Not sure how it took us 6 weeks to see our first monkeys in SE Asia... I blame Rihanna (props to anyone who gets this reference, or at least Google's "Rihanna Monkey Asia")
900 year old version of Tug of War (apparently snakes were used in the place of ropes at the time)
Bayon - The temple of a million (aka 200) faces
#42 I imagine
Double face!
There exists a word in the dictionary to describe these "pictures etched into stone," yet, I am blanking its name. Oh well, this is one of them
Our own personal Tuk Tuk driver around Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, to/from pharmacies, etc (and no, Julie was not taking this photo sideways)
Meeting up with the Kiwis for a little "Cambodian Reunion"
Phare - Cirque de Soleil + Cambodians + 100-person theater = Best $15 spent all trip (I guess I'm a fan of "equation captions" this post)
Intensity provided for free
Thank you for keeping still for the photo balancing lady (and thank you, other lady, for whatever you appear to be doing in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment